http://www.greekroms.net

Συντονιστές: Maddog, Whacker, Vag, Giama

Απάντηση
DarkMastero
Jr. Pacman
Jr. Pacman

Digimon ROMs

Δημοσίευση από DarkMastero »

I had sent in a request for a translation on your English website for the Digimon Wonderswan and Wonderswan Color games (especially Anode and Cathode Tamer, Tag Tamers, D-1 Tamers, Brave Tamer) a while ago. I haven't got a reply so I am following it's suggestion to post here.

I know you specialize in Greek translation but even if you can't find a Japanese to English translator could you maybe extract the Japanese text. Given enough time I could find a translator and then give the translated text back to you.
Vag
Master Translator
Επικοινωνία:

Δημοσίευση από Vag »

Hello DarkMastero.
I'm sorry I didn't reply to your emails, I guess the other GreekRoms members are very busy too.
Anyway, about your request... I don't even know the games and I don't have the roms. So, I need a little more info. For now, I want to tell you that I have translated Wonderboy in Monsterland (for the PC Engine) from the japanese rom (it was my first translation). But to do that, I was playing the arcade english version at the same time. I had to play the game till I see a new unknown phrase. The font was greek but the text was japanese, so I could see gibberish. But I could see the same gibberish in the hex editor, so I could replace it with the right greek phrase.
If these games aren't much bigger than Wonderboy in Monsterland and you know japanese, you can do it the same way. Change the font so it has english letters (if it doesn't) and play it. At the same time play the japanese one. The gibberish you see in the "english" one, you should replace with the translation of the japanese one. But this is only if you're very lucky and the game doesn't use compression. If it does, I can't help you at all anyway.
If the games are much bigger, RPGs for example, then you need to write a program to extract the text (again, if there's no compression). I really can't do this myself as I have almost no free time anymore. If you know programming and you're willing to do it yourself, you can ask me whatever you want.
I hope I didn't dissapoint you :-/
Vag.
DarkMastero
Jr. Pacman
Jr. Pacman

I do have the ROMS and can upload them to you. Sadly I don't know Japanese and don't have any ROM hacking knowledge. I have heard that alot of Wonderswan games are compressed but I have no way of knowing if these are. Are there ways to uncompressed ROMs? Do you know anyone who has created a program to extract text from a Wonderswan or Wonderswan Color?

I do know some Java and C but haven't used it much.
Vag
Master Translator
Επικοινωνία:

Δημοσίευση από Vag »

I googled and I found out that they are RPGs.
Unfortunatelly, it's impossible for me to help you. These games use compression, I'm 99% sure. And because you asked, you can't "uncompress the roms". The roms are uncompressed, the text and the graphics in them are compressed. This means that for every rom there may be a different way to uncompress them, and for that, you need to know asm. Even it they were uncompressed, it would take more than a year just for the basics, not to complete a translation.
I'm sorry if I dissapointed you.
DarkMastero
Jr. Pacman
Jr. Pacman

Is there anyone on these boards or elsewhere I could ask about looking at the Roms and writing a program for me to extract the text and put new ones in? I image if the ROM knows how to uncompressed it the compression key must be in the program somewhere.
Vag
Master Translator
Επικοινωνία:

Δημοσίευση από Vag »

DarkMastero έγραψε:if the ROM knows how to uncompressed it the compression key must be in the program somewhere.
Yes, but to understand this "compression key", you need to know ASM for the Wonderswan. I don't know ASM, sorry.
The usual rom hacking techniques are simply not enough for a translation like this. I hate to say it but it's very difficult for someone to start a project like this.
DarkMastero
Jr. Pacman
Jr. Pacman

Do you know of anyone who has hacked a Wonderswan and\or Wonderswan Color ROM that I could ask?
Vag
Master Translator
Επικοινωνία:

Δημοσίευση από Vag »

Sorry for the late reply, I don't have much free time lately...
Check here: http://donut.parodius.com/?func=trans&platform=ws for some Wonderswan translations :-)
Απάντηση